Re: [mu agetty] no response

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 19:45:21 CEST

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:31:59AM -0700, Joshua Hudson nicely wrote:
> I am interested in developing new shell for muLinux (believe I can beat ash
> for size & speed). In attempting to determine what happens in login, I
> could not get output to the screen. The same thing happens with programs
> being used as login shells, like so:
>
> This is the entry I added to /etc/passwd:
>
> who::103:100:Dr. Who:/:/usr/bin/who
>
> The result in logging in (minus /etc/issue):
>
> muLinux login: who
>
> muLinux login:
>
> The error is in init or agetty: running login from the command line
> works just fine:
>
> # login
> muLinux login: who
> who tty0 (rest of output deleted)
> #

First of all: we have two "login" program: the fake/rustic one /bin/login,
and GNU login in /usr/srv/bin/login. The second take place only if
you load the SRV addon.

So, /bin/login acts as wrapper: in the case SRV is not in memory, it
simply call "ash".

As you surely guessed it, the rustic login do not inspect the
/etc/passwd, so check what really happens in your case.

I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous