Re: [mu startx] only root can start x.

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 11:53:22 CEST

Stephen Kasirye wrote:

> This xterm does not work at all! A variety of window managers can not
> display xterms.(?) Are you aware?

It works for me with the fvwm95 supplied with mulinux. I'm trying to
make minimal changes to the supplied mulinux setup.

> > 2. In /usr/X11R6/bin/startx, replace occurrences of "MuLinux Console" by
> > \"Mulinux Console\", i.e., put backslashes before the quotes.
>
> Maybe; what was this meant to be?

Nothing vital. Quotes need to be escaped because of an extra level of
shell nesting.

> What are we solving this time?

At the time I first posted the message, several people, myself included,
were trying to a) start X as a user and b) get command line history and
editing in the xterm window started under X. This was my way of doing
it. I don't think it is worth spending time on making mulinux secure
against the system's own users (although it is important to protect
against attacks from outside). It is essentially a single user setup.

Stephen Isard