Re: muLinux and website on CD

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 15:47:33 CEST

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 03:55:26AM +0200, anders.smith@philips.com nicely wrote:
> In the documentation you describe how roclone works/should be used, but I have a few questions:
>
> --snip--
> >From a technical point of view, all happen in usually way, but after booting muLinux try to mount own USR segment from a removable device, probing in turn CDROM IDE, CDROM Scsi, ZIP floppy and other. If succeded, muLinux mount the USR image (a normal
> file in the boot/ directory) using the loopback Linux device and uses a mixed filesystem arrangement: RAMDISKs and read-only media togheter.
> --snip--
>
> Does this mean that after booting muLinux trys to mount the /user directory from the CD if it's there and only if it can't find one there, it goes looking for another /usr on a Zip etc.? or does it mean that the included /user will be ignored in favour
> of another?

It search for the file boot/usr.img, in this partition. If it found the file,
the file is mounted under /usr (but / itself, stay in RAM).
All mulinux resides on the boot/ folder, on the CD:

                boot/root.gz is mounted as /
                boot/usr.img is mounted as /usr

> If I clone (or roclone) the muLinux system including the /html directory after arranging to my liking, burn the CD and boot from the CD, then the whole content will automatically be loaded into a ramdisk and run from there? I would prefer that the CD
> stops spinning after the boot up to make the system as quiet as possible.

You are requiring to explode usr.img on a set of ramdisk. Sorry, no: this
implementation try to use less memory as possible. So, usr.img is *mounted*,
not *copied* in the RAM. You will see the CD spinning, when system works.

> Can I access the html files/directory in the master.iso under Windows to add and delete file or is it completely locked until it's mounted? This would of cause make it very easy to change/update the site and just burn a new CD directly from windoze?

You cannot open master.iso from Windows. I suggest you to create a single
working CD and to move the boot/ directory under Windows. In boot/boot.img
you will find the El-Torito floppy disk. Rawrite it on floppy-disk.
Now, you can use your favorite software to move boot/ on a CDROM, adding
some other directory, as html/ (on the CDROM).
After that, you can rebuild the CD, requiring your software to use boot.img
as El-Torito booting floppy-disk