Re: Opinion from mother-tongue

From: HTom4722@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 23:56:00 CEST

I love it when people use words that I have to look up in the dictionary.

exegesis: interpetation or explanation or elaboration of a passage or phrase.

I took it to mean that he wanted neither replies from people offering to
research the problem for pay nor to be told to contact you (both likely
occurances on many lists.) I can see how a person (especially a non-native
speaker) could think the phrasing irritating or insulting or implying that
you only respond when paid, but I don't think that he had any of those things
in mind. I don't think I would have seen any of those things if I hadn't
been "warned" that there was something odd about the sentence. I think he
was trying (perhaps too hard) to be humble in a request for help.

htom

In a message dated 4/5/01 2:09:47 PM Central Daylight Time, m.andreoli@tin.it