Re: Disk less webserver

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:19:58 CEST

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:36:23PM -0500, anders.smith@philips.com nicely wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a small webserver at home but do not want the noise and energy cost of my full machine, so I was planning to us muLinux and put everything in a ramdisk and pull out all the fans etc from the old machine.
>
> If I have enough memory I guess it should be easy to create a large ram disk and copy all my webfiles into it, so that I can have the website running totally without disks and fans...? Any recomendations?
>
> I was thinking about FTP'ing the site to the ramdisk for convenience or use a Zip disk. Would it be possible/make sense?

You can create ramdisks of the size you want: 10M, 20M, etc.
Locate the function make_lilo() in "Mu" and modify the parameter
ramdisk_size= (actually 4600).

Please, explore the command /usr/bin/ftpget: it is useful for you.
With some little hacking, you can move thttpd from SRV to BASE.
Please, read the file /setup/fun/httpd.fun

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen