Re: Making the 172Mb disks.......I just can't get it to work..beginner!

From: anders.smith@philips.com
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 00:33:42 CEST

I ended up making the initial disk under W98 on a laptop as my desktop machine is SCSi only.

I then booted on the laptop and made the rest from the Linux bootdisk. I still haven't tried under NT yet, but will soon as I have one at home with IDE disks.

The problem I think was that I just didn't read the instructions properly, and asumed that the unpacking was done after unzipping the dos.zip. This meant that when i tried to do the install disks under Linux it was missing the boot.tgz etc. and gave me
some other messages that I can't quite remember. I'll try again and write it down if you want me to.

The error I get in Faiz's SuperFormat is that I have 21 bad sectors on track '0' and 21 bad sectors on track '1'. I get this with all disks so it can't be the disks but must be either the software or that I'm trying it under NT4.

Now I just need to dig out an old machine that I can use as a server for my website.

thanks

Anders Smith

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 07:22:29PM -0600, anders.smith@philips.com nicely wrote:
> I think I found the problem. I'd forgotten to unpack the system first.
>
> Somehow it hadn't dawned on me that I needed to to do it.... ( |-<)
> I know it does say so in the documentation...just a little too eager I guess
>
> My problem was that it kept telling me that something was missing....and I guess it was!!
>
> I finally tried it on a laptop and now have a disk set. YES!!!
>
> Thanks for you help guys!

So, in summing up: you made the floppy set under NT or no? I never tested
by myself under NT.