Re: Mulinux version 11r12 install bug

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 14:02:16 CEST

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 09:25:24PM +0100, Clive Wright nicely wrote:
> There appears to be a bug with the v11r12 install script.
> The install command: "./mu -i 1" will not work as the BOOT
> file contains a blank boot sector (all zeroes) and the mu
> script does not run lilo, therefore the generated floppy has
> a blank boot sector which my box ignores and proceeds to
> boot from the hard disk.
>
> Bootable 1.722M floppies can be produced using: "mu -r"
> provided a working /dev/loop exists (unfortunately this has
> highlighted a loop problem with my 2.4.2 kernel but that is
> a different story).
>
> An alternative is to issue the following 3 commands (as
> root) at the "Done. Reboot now." prompt:
>
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0H1722 mnt
> cat lilo.1722 |./bin/lilo -r `pwd`/mnt/ -C -
> umount mnt

"mu -i 1" simply contains that:

                # cat BOOT ROOT.gz USR.bz2 > /dev/fd0H1722

It assume that BOOT contains the LILO; indeed, BOOT.raw has
no LILO loader in it.

The LILO is added making the floppy, with "mu -r". This is the exact
command I use to make the images and to publish them

Usually, I never have got problem of this kind. This part of the script
is the same since long time. In recent releases, I only added a
statically linked "fdformat" in the directory bin/.

I just tested that, starting from scratch:

                # tar -zxf mulinux-11r12.tgz
                # mu -i 1

and worked.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen