Re: Connecting two computers

From: Sven Conrad (SvenConrad@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 20:25:38 CET

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 05:35:56AM +0100, Matthias Koch nicely wrote:
> > How can I connect my old computer, a XT x86 4.7 // 8 Mhz to my new Computer, a Pentium II 266 Mhz as a terminal?
> > I think I've got a good base knowledge, but I'm not very well in Linux.
> > I want to use this old machine to work at my new computer during my family is working with it.
> > If possible is that working over a parallel LapLink cable ?
> > If not, then please tell me how I can build a serial cable (9 Pins to 25 Pins) to connect them.
> > At last, excuse my bad English, I'm German.
> > (If you can, then answer in German, please)
> >

> You can use either serial (setup -f ppp0) either parallel (setup -f plip)
> TCP/IP connection. Please, follow any setup/ppp0 screen: you will find
> guideline to build a simple null-modem cable with only three pin.

Hmmm, no I don't think so. AFAIK there is no no way to get an XT!!! to
work
under Linux. Even Win 3.1 is not possible, Win 3.0 would be, in case of
much much RAM (4 MB or so). So only DOS as OS???

Look for an DOS-Terminal Program. I had one these ages ago, when I used
a DOS-Machine (AT x286) for BBS. I think you can still find some on the
net.

Then connect per Serial Null Modem Cable (you can buy those in "every"
computer Store).

Now you have to start a login for this port and I don't know to much
about
this. It is something like:

7:123:respawn:/sbin/mgetty /dev/ttyS0

in /etc/inittab

---------------------
BTW:
I have heared allso about an X-Server running under DOS, but I think
this
requires more than a standart XT to work, and for having fun with X you
would need 2 Network-Card to connect the computers.

I personaly think, get an other computer (486 DX2/80) or so and you have
a lot more fun. I have allready trashed Boards like this. Normaly you
should get at least 386er Computers for free from companies, friends
and so on. Even the PII-266 is an old peace of HW right by now.

/sven