Re: Mulinux setup with ext2 partition

From: Ken Caldwell (kencaldwell@optushome.com.au)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 06:43:49 CET

Andrew Criswell wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Thank you, GuidoSintoni and Ken Caldwell for your helpful installation
> suggestions. Now, I must ponder what to do next.
>
> If I understand you both correctly, on a larger machine, say my desktop with
> 132MB RAM and with Mandrake 7.1 already installed, I could boot the floppies
> and clone the distribution to a directory, say /root/mulinux. Then, tarball
> the /root/mulinux directory and copy it to my 4MB notebook.

Not exactly. I had not realised that the 4MB machine was a notebook.
(unfortunately I have deleted you original posting). My plan was to
physically install the hard drive from the small machine in the large
machine as /dev/hda, install mulinux and then return the drive to the
smaller machine. I now realise that this will raise difficulties as
hard drives from laptops are often (always?) not plug compatable with
the connectors of a desktop computer. In this case Michelle's solution
is the best once we solve the lilo issue.

> But my notebook contains the following extended and logical partitions:
> /dev/hda1 extended, /dev/hda5 Linux native and /dev/hda6 Linux swap. Other
> than that, it is a virgin machine. So, how can I get the stuff copied over?
> And once copied, how will I get the machine to recognize the distribution
> from the boot diskette?
>
> At a deeper level, if Mulinux prides itself on running on small machines
> like mine, should it not also be able to install itself on these machines?

Few linux distributions these days make provision for installing on
machines with as little as 4MB ram. (small linux is one exception) It
will, however, be possible to install mulinux without removing the hard
drive but you may need other (linux) tools to help. I have in mind a
method using a temporary UMSDOS install. Note:- This dos not require
the DOS operating system.

Michele could you explain how to clone an ext2 system using only the
first disk? Lilo is on the SVR addon. I can think of several possible
solutions but you probably have already determined the best method.