Re: Browsers and Mulinux

From: Guido Sintoni (gsintoni@katamail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 15:52:24 CET

Terry Phillips wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just discovered Mulinux and it seems a great way to try Linux on a
> Windows machine.(Mine is a 486 running Win 3.1.)

I'd better try Mulinux without Window$... even if Win 3.1 is maybe the
best
Windows ever built, in comparison with its size and its performances.

> I see that the excellent Opera browser has a Linux version. Will it work
> with Mulinux? If not, which is the best browser to use?

You should try and compile the *.tar.gz sources, but - first of all -
you have to consider Mulinux
is fully based on Libc5 libraries; so, you're likely unable to compile
some programs requiring Glibc6.
I haven't tried and compile Opera, but - as I can read from
www.opera.com - you have
to download and compile the statically linked version (the one that
doesn't require qt2.2
libraries): I don't think it's worth the pain to do it, because you've
to manage a 2,5MB
package which may cause your system (486-based, running on a UMSDOS
partition) to collapse
or - at least - to result slower.
If I were in your shoes, I would try and compile Netscape 3 or even
Chimera 2 (very spartan) or
Mosaic.
See you

--