[mu TECH] Problem installing on a IBM Thinkpad 360... well, really I can't install at all!

From: Luca Olivari (keenux@tin.it)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 04:16:42 CET

Hi,
I've planned to use my Ibm Thinkpad 360 (486/50 4Mb Ram 170Mb HD) with linux
for some work with Perl...
I've taken a look around and I've decided to use MuLinux 'cause I think it's
light enough to "run" on this laptop (other distro, such as DragonLinux and
Zipslack, are "heavy and slow" (and incomplete!), taking about 20-30 mins.
to start!!!!!!)
So, I've downloaded rel.11r7....
Well... I CAN'T INSTALL IT!!!!
I read about problems with floppy installation (there is also a .txt in docs
directory), but I tried the same... no way:

- with makefi.bat it hangs on the message:
RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0

- with maker.bat and lowmem.bat I've got:
a) errors writing the disk (creating it with the Ibm) or
b) reading/accessing it (creating it with a W.Station)

- with the 1.7Mb fd full set (9 fd) created on a workstation in dos the
best result was an "insert root floppy" reading floppy #1...

Obviously 1st I tried with boot.bat and the result was the same as
makefi.bat.... :-(((

I've done a last try creating 1.44 disks with my Pc running RedHat 7.0
("./mu -i"): well, I've got " ./mu: /dir/filename: no such file or
directory" when running fdformat or lilo (the same I got when I launched
them alone with ./filename...)

How can I solve this problem? (I can't either copy the \LINUX dir on the
laptop: I only have DOS and there are "path too long for Ms-DOS" problems)

Excuse me if this problem was already posted but I can't access the ML
archive...
...and for my faulty english! ;-)
Thanks for your help

Luca "Keeno" Olivari