Re: Mu X and Notebook

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 21:55:50 CET

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 12:08:57PM +0100, Michael Gruner nicely wrote:
> hi Michele,
> > Mulinux default are:
> >
> > HORIZ_SYNC='29-60'
> > VERT_REFRESH='50-100'
> >
> > The setup offers the change to modify this values.
>

> so i should set down the max sync/refresh rate to the
> max of the notebook, shouldn't I ?? Why is there given
> a range ? is it for the different resolutions ?

A range is for multi-sync. Usually, I use a range. The X server try
to compute the horiz-sync and vert-refresh required by a single
modeline to work properly, and delete any modeline which doesn't
fit the specified range.

So, if you put simply VERT_REFRESH='60', it is very difficult to
find a modeline. You have to scan over many, manu dot-clocks.

With recent mulinux, you can generate modeline by hand with the
script mode.awk: please, "mode.awk -h".

Example:
                        mode.awk -all 20-70

compute modeline for a clock in the range 20-70 Mhz: many of that
will be cancelled by the server.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen