Re: Mu X and Notebook

From: Sven Conrad (SvenConrad@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 20:26:05 CET

Michael Gruner wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> what Notebook did you test mulinux with ??? It seems I
> destroyed a colani Bluenote II. Now I've got a Siemens
> PCD4NC and i don't want to destroy this again...so hav
> you any ideas what should I try ???

It is a Fujitsu 5033: AMD K6-II 300 w/ Trident 9385 and
a 800x600 12.1' TFT.
(the Trident supports up to 135 MHz dot clock, the TFT NOT)

I use permanetly suse 5.3 and 6.3 on this computer.
In the suse support database there has been a problem
reported with X and the trident laptop chipset. This is
now 2 years ago. I'am using XFree86 3.3.3.1 (dec. 1998).
So this is not the latest and gratest any more, even if I
had to download this one fresh out of the internet.

This has been allways the case. Whenever I tried to use
a Loptop with X, I had to download the latest X Server
for the Chipset.

As far as I have seen, TFT displays like 60-70 Hz refresh
rates. With this, there should be no chance to destroy the
display controler.

Do you have any clue, what kind of VGA chipset you have?
I can search the suse support database, which is allmost
in german, if it is supported and if there are problems.
You can do the same with redhat and debian.
If there is no problem, use the right server, not the
vga16 and use the modelines for 60Hz at you normal Screen
resolution.

Michele, is the modeline calculator ready? This is a mighty
tool for things like this, because I have often seen problems
with XF86Setup & Co.

If not, may be you want to connect a external VGA Monitor while
installation. Only if you see the right values (frequencies),
you switch to the internal display. If it is not able to
show the contence immediate, just switch the display back to
the external Monitor. This way, the chance to destroy the
display should be minimal.

All this sound terrible and nobody can give you any guaratee
that everything is working and nothing will be destroyed.
On the other hand, I have used at lest 3 Laptops with Linux
and I know many other who do also.

Yours is the first case I have heared about a destruction.
Are you shure about that?

I hope this will help.

/sven