Re: ae history under X

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 19:24:38 CET

Angel Martín Alganza wrote:

> History is working fine on console mode but not on an xterm (ae) under X.
> How can I confugere it so that I can use the shell history also under X?

I was hoping someone would reply to you with the answer you want, but
they haven't yet, so...

The history and line editing that you get in console mode are provided
by the ile (Input Line Editor) program, rather than by the shell itself.
According to the ile man page

     The ile program can be run as a simple shell around any pro-
     gram. It gives any program an input line editing and a his-
     tory mechanism. It can also be run around your favorite
     shell. When run around the shell ile records the input to
     programs as well as input to the shell in its history
     buffer.

The reason you get a history mechanism in the console is that your
console login is being run inside ile. I haven't got a mulinux system
here to check with at the moment, but I think that in mu, ile is invoked
by way of /etc/inittab. (Either that or it is called from a dummy login
program that wraps it around the real login.) When you run xterm, ile
doesn't get called, so you don't have a history mechanism.

You might just give the command 'ile' at the beginning of your xterm
session to get a history mechanism. I'm not sure I've done that, but it
ought to work. What I have tried, but not yet got right, is a
replacement xterm command that wraps ile around the xterm session for
you without having to call it explicitly. I can't remember why that
didn't work straight off, but it must be possible.

Hope that helps.

Stephen Isard