Re: New way to install.. was Re: another mod...

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 12:46:33 CET

Michele Andreoli a écrit :

> The solution is good, surely. But if you has in mind really third-part
> addons, we can run in some trouble if I change the Setup behaviour (new
> functions, etc) and it still has to face with some old .fun located in
> the addon.

Totally true, I didn't thought at all about that problem.
But... I have a solution ;-). The solution would be to use a versionning scheme. I see 2
possibilities here.
1) you explicitly give a version number for the setup stuff. If it doesn't match with
the one provided by the 3rd part (or is not in the range), then it falls back to what
you says below, that is a scheme with fixed names bin/prolog and so on.
2) Instead of the version of setup being used, the version of mulinux is used. It
requires more work from the add-on maintainer, as it has to check every new release to
see whether setup changed or not, or the add-on would become obsolete very rapidly, as
mulinux changes really often.

The difference of the 2 schemes lie in the work load. So I preconize 2 as it gives you
less work. Nevertheless, if versioning setup can be of any use for you, the 1 is
preferable.

> Maybe, it is better if Setup call 2-3 standard scripts located in the
> addon: bin/prolog, bin/prepare and bin/configure, for example. The
> drawback is that this scripts can't share 'intelligence' and common
> code with Setup, but the advantage is that they become independent
> from Setup.

See above, I think this would be a good idea to revert to this scheme if the versions
aren't compatible.

This strategy doesn't cover you from a malicious add-on maintainer that extends the
compatibility range without looking at the changes in the setup schemes. But this
shouldn't happen, hopefully !

Pat