Re: New way to install.. was Re: another mod...

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 14:25:45 CET

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 09:52:54AM +0100, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:

> > Actually, if you load ad addon with Setup, in a RAM mulinux, then save
> > the profile setup -s, at next boot the system try do load automatically
> > the addon. For this functionality, "load" has to store some info in
> > the profile.
>
> That can be done so at any time later teh Setup shows only
> Insert Disk with Label : X11
> or something similar.

Actually, setup works exactly in this way: the help screen is shown
only if the resource is in the "ask" status.

> Thats ok. If I clone to another system I want to add any needed Addon
> not some addon stored before (sure thats not real cloning...)
> But with the file mentioned above where all LABELS can be stored...
>
> OK you have nothing about the setup on that disk. OK point to U.
>
> But that can also be stored?! Have to think about that... But possible!
> And not really hard.

In v11 there is a script, maybe not much publicized, called /bin/load.
It is able to load *every* addon in the tar.bz2 format directly in
the filesystem (UMSDOS). As final step, it search for a script called
"prolog" and run it. This script do not know nothing about the
addon. Usage:

        # load ( interactive)
        # load /DOS/mulinux/SRV.tgz (command line)

If, after loading an addon, you do "setup -a custom", any resource
living in the "skipped" status will be re-started.

> Hm, do we need some commands in the setup which are only available later?

Any .fun has a requirement() function. If you "setup smbd" but SRV
addon is not loaded, the Samba resource fall in the "skipped" status,
because the daemons are not present. But, at next boot, you will
have the Samba daemon.

A workaround is to do "setup -a custom" after, the rare event, of a new
addon.

Another workaround is to put in every addon's "prolog" script a sort
of "re-scan" script: it check every requirement() in every .fun, then
restart the linked resource :

                # setup x restart if x depend from XYZ

This is easy to do and - also - do not break the current implementation.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen