New way to install.. was Re: another mod...

From: Jochen Cichon (jc@versainter.net)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 08:11:54 CET

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Michele Andreoli wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 03:42:45PM +0100, Jochen Cichon nicely wrote:
> You removed something else: the whole setup/ directory is only 70k
> compressed. /etc/named and /etc/samba gains 2-3k.
Jep.

The Games...

> > PS: What about splitting the disk in two areas
> > a 1/2/3 k Area at beginning (that is for the Documentation text what is on the
> > disk). That area should always have a fixed size.
> > And after that the normal Image.
> > So we have to call ADDON only (!) no extra text on the first floppy needed,
> > no action if there are really new Add-Ons.
> > And the prolog script should copy all it needs to /etc... or create
> > symlinks instead...
> > I think that is a much more elegant way? Isn't it?

> Ehm ... I declare myself unable to understand last 2-3 sentence, sorry.
> But I'm working on, with my dictionary. My english understanding is still
> very rudimental!

Oh. Hm. My english writing is not so perfect at all.

SO let me say it that way. Each disk, contains it's own description. In the
first few blocks of the disk.
So in Mu you mustn't add any addon or setup.
Because each Disk contains it own setup ...
So if you inserted the WKS (or whatever) addon and type setup -f ADDON (or else)
So we create a 1k TEXT file with information about WKS.
And we put that file on the disk.
        dd if=WKS.desc of=/dev/fd0 count=1024
After that we put the WKS.tgz to the disk. (behind description)
        dd if=hich.tgz of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 seek=1

If we want to install that test is displayed
        dd if=/dev/fd0 count=1 bs=1024
After that we can decide if we want that or not.
If we want it...
we can retrieve the TGZ File.
        dd if=/dev/fd0 of=wks.tgz bs=1024 skip=1
And in that file there can be a directory called...
        /usr/addonname/setup
And there are some setup scripties... Which now can be first linked to /setup
and second should be run.
So we never need to change the Startup disk, and are able to grow mu...

What about the idea (PS: System with the 1k Block is tested and working!)

Jochen.