Re: e3 flavors

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 19:21:47 CET

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 03:30:11PM +0100, Albrecht Kleine nicely wrote:
> Michele wrote:
>

> > Why do not assume this more semplicist approach:
> >
> > 1. copy the buffer in a file, such /tmp/buffer
> > 2. run sed on /tmp/buffer
> > 3. reload the buffer?
> >
> > It is ugly, but do not use pipes or additional ram.
>
> Okay, you get it.. It works!

Great! You call pipes without libc, and do not use kernel headers
in your compilation. So, I'm asking my self, how your code link
the kernel via assembler? Did you jumped in some fixed location,
or you use a x86 interrupt for the system-call?
Just an accademic curiousity: in the case of the kernel module,
the stuff is managed by insmod; but your program run in the
user-space!

In a previous email of mine (just sent) I suggested to try with
"ex", the VI engine. But if sed works, no problem. I thik ex and
sed are equipollent, as far editing on the fly is concerned.

So, we have now an E3 on the top of the tremendous power of
the regular UNIX expressions? :-))

Ehm: I think, a this stage, is not so difficult for You,
to run anything from E3. So, why do not add the "|" function?
Ok, ok: the next year is OK.

> This new e3 1.2 should be a kind of Christmas present for you
> and the whole net out there :-)

Thank very much! My first Xmas present, this year ...

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen