Re: [mu OT] GRANDE errore! (was: To refuse going to Firenze???)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 19:00:03 CET

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:20:47PM +0100, khz@snafu.de nicely wrote:

> To proove that I am right, just have a look at your own muLinux:
>
> You are trying your very best and you are investing FAR more time
> in making it GOOD than you could afford to do when being paid
> for the job.

True, but my point was different. I was speaking not about quality.
Maybe, your argument is OK also for quality, I do not know.
I was speaking about "royalties", when told about "love".
"love" is the free-software "royalty", in the sense of "self-esteem",
in italian "amor-proprio". I have not better word for that.

Unawares, unwittingly, the free-developer's maximum effort and
quality is reached only when its results arouse admiration.

Be aware! In my opinion to pay, with a money like that, the free-developer
is very, very difficult to achive, for a modern company (or also
impossible)!

I sometimes worked for some software-house for money: I received
money, never appreciation. But money cover only a little part of
my needs.
I know: this is puerile, but it's my feeling about developing for free.

> So go to Firenze and tell them:
>
> (a) Free software is of superior quality!

I really would like to believe in that! In this moment I was
thinking about the Art development in the Italy of the Renaissance:
an incredible pool of artists, but they worked freely?
Mah, I only saw they are all accredited, sometime slave, of some
"Principe", or to the ecclesiastic intellighencja.

> (b) Bugs are usually found and fixed faster than in proprietary products!

This is perfectly true. I agree totally. Staroffice sometimes hangup with
no reports :-)
My Win98 desktop is identical to itself since 2-3 years, but my Linux
desktop changes every month!

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen