Re: To trash the FAQ?

From: winsor SMP (zoot@farts.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 05:13:03 CET

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Michele,

I remember those good old days.
In fact I've still got an muLinux v2.3 here on floppy.
A veritable antique in the software world 8^P
Mulinux has become increasing more user friendly since those early pre clone "manic boot floppy days".
And I'm quite sure you'll grown a few grey hairs from the workload since then too........
It seems muLinux has grown to a fairly respectable though still rustic O/S in it's own right.
BTW:
I wasn't aware that a link was added to the mulinux homepage, I was kinda' wondering why folks running "Irix" and "HPUX" were visiting the old clunker*grin*

winsor

>Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:11:06 +0100
>From: Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it>
>To: mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk
>Subject: Re: To trash the FAQ?
>
>On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:13:26PM -0800, winsor SMP nicely wrote:
>> Michele,
>>
>> It seems to me that the FAQ's in themselves are very useful.
>> I think where the problem lies, is in the fact that to windows users Linux is an entirely alien operating system. getty??? proccess???....er uh...what's that???
>
>Can us surrogate the Linux Documentation Project in a simple FAQ??
>
>> And extremely new users just don't know what terms mean.
>> Maybe a link to "jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/" is in order for the website.
>> this site carries quite a bit of "generic" linux info including basic command syntax, and a course "translation dictionary" ie:DOS/Linux.
>
>Good: I will put
>
>> There was a time that we all were rank newbies.......
>> .....we must remember 8^P
>
>Newbie is ok, but lazy no. I like books. There are more books today
>about Linux, at any level.
>
>Originally, in the basic mulinux README, was stated
>
>=====================================
>muLinux is not
>for newbye, but for the Linux
>fan in general, or the curious person who wants to look inside
>scripts to understand why an hack as muLinux <tt/sendmail/
>(only 1216 bytes) is really able
>to deliver mail with the correct return-address
>=====================================
>
>But someone suggested me to remove the reference to "not for newbye",
>because many DOS users was dowloading it.
>
>But, to be honest, this should be enforced: -not for newbye-, but
>in more deep sense. The newbye is strongly encouraged to read manpages,
>documentation, and to use performant tools. muLinux isn't suitable
>as ship-school, only because it install easy.
>
>All other mini-Linux are -not for newbye-: it is not a muLinux
>peculiarity.
>
>Michele
>--
>In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
>you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen

village idiot town drunk
purveyor of fine computer junk