xterm and dialog

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 14:48:53 CET

Surely someone notice that: dialog screen appairs more ugly
under an xterm (XWindow running).

Pondering about the problem (very difficult to catch out), I
discovered the bug: it is under /usr/lib/terminfo. Here, under
the directory x, you will find the official definition of xterm
escape code. But, in muLinux "xterm" is a symlink to "linux", the
raw console terminal definition.

I removed the link and added here a true xterm-debian.
After that, in /etc/profile (called also by xterm command, when
used with "-ls" ) I changed the entry "TERM=linux" with that:

=====================================
if [ "$DISPLAY" ] ; then
        TERM=xterm
else
        TERM=linux
fi
=====================================

As you see, the TERM environment variable is set to xterm if
XWindow is working (i.e. if DISPLAY hold some not-blank value)

Now dialog panels look fine also under X.
If urged, you can implement these fixes by yourself.

Anyway, i will sent in attachement the terminfo xterm: put in
in /usr/lib/terminfo/x/xterm (after removed the symlink).

Sorry, but this symlink is an ancient, extreme measure made
on the original single-floppy system, in order to save space.

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen