Re: Mutt & sending Mails

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 13:55:40 CET

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 09:23:10AM +0100, Zeimet Alex nicely wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problems to send mails by mutt. I can fetch the mails, but I
> cannot send them. I get the the mail back with the message
> mailer-daemaon. On SuSE 6.2 I also have mutt, and this works fine.
>
> Any hints?

smail acts differently if you are connected or not
You , in both cases, may have more log running the queue with:

                # smail -d9 -q > log_file

then send me the "log_file". If empty, replace ">" with "2>".

On local network, smail deviler correctly only if you use
"not-fully-qualified-domain". Example: craxi@extensa is delivered,
but craxi@extensa.sanvittore.it gets sent to SMART_HOST (in my /etc/hosts,
extensa is an alias for extensa.sanvittore.it).

As many MTA in UNIX, smail works well only if a DNS is 24/24h
reachable: for intermittent link, the messages are queued then sent
to a SMART_HOST.

If you close your internet connection without to "run the queue" in mutt
(I provided a macro: escape-s, for that), the messages are still in
the directory /var/spool/smail/input: they will be delivered to next
connection. You can obtains the list with "mailq".

You can run the queue by hand with "runq" or "runq -v", in a console.

I know, all that behave differently from Eudora, Outlook etc: the
UNIX delivering system are projected with the queue in mind, because
they are for multi-user, big systems.

I'm now improving the "ppp-on" script, thus it can detected queued
emails and start "runq" automagically. Or I have to re-run the queue
also in ppp-off? Mmm ... maybe, a fine (but inusual ) solution that.

[faq'ed]

In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave
you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? - Woody Allen