Re: Status report, progress, ...

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 15:52:40 CET

Hi,

> We have now in muLinux these importat tools:
>
> -- sox (convert between various audio format)
> -- cdda2wav ( audio-tracks -> wav)
> -- bladeenc ( .wav -> .mp3)
> -- mkisofs ( directory -> iso9660 )
> -- cdrecord ( iso9660,wav -> CDROM)
>
> I will plan to create a simple script interface to these tools
> called mu-combust, or mcombust.
> It should be able to make a CD-audio or a CD-data copy, or also
> to convert an entire audio CD in a set of mp3 files. I already
> used scripts to achieve that, in my regular Linux.
> I like to offer similar functions in muLinux.

I have begun to do it too, with an ide cd-writer.

> My only doubt is about not-SCSI cd-writer. They are managed in Linux
> using a sort of scsi emulation, if I'm not wrong, using a module
> called ide-scsi or something like. Someone on the list know the
> subject? What device has to be specified in cdrecord? /dev/scd0?

I don't know if it is valid with other kernel but with the 2.2.14. I use on
my big linux, assuming my writer is on hdc, I have to pass the kernel the
parameter
hdc=ide-scci, via lilo or loadlin. With that parameter the kernel don't
register hdc as an ide device, but instead as a scsi one.

Maybe this can be automated in mulinux, if lilo is here.

then I insmod ide-scsi.

To mount it I use mount /dev/scd0, as it is considered as a SCSI cdrom.

When used as a cd-writer, it has to be accessed via the generic scsi
interface, it is /dev/sg0 if accessed through the /dev/ interface.
In cdrecord, it seems that the prefered way to address a scsi device, is a
triplet like 0,0,0 for the scsi bus, the place on the bus and anohter arg
I don't remember.

cdrecord -scanbus gives you the topography of your bus. I have no scsi
device, only that scsi emulated ide burner, so it is on 0,0,0, but maybe it
isn't the case for your device ?

Pat

note that I also tried to use it in a box that accept ide device and plugs
into the parallel port, but failed to have it work that way under linux. Now
I have a hard disk in that box, and it works well. Does someone know wether
the parport suite modules exist in the 2.0.36 ? Maybe I could do .cnf and
.fun for external parallel port devices if someone think it is worth. I have
some knowing in that area, and I even did some script that brutally probe for
the hardware in tempting to insmod the modules to find which one is the good
one.