Re: Named

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 00:07:11 CET

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 10:29:32PM +0100, Ondrej Kavka nicely wrote:
> I've been running named nameserver daemon for several months now, it's been
> working fine all the time.. The configuration is not that difficult, I even
> have it set up for three different dial-up providers and everything is quick
> and clean :). If you want to use named, however, as a server, I have no idea
> how good mulinux will be (but I guess it should be no problem).

Yes, I did. I discard DNRD, because too big and because we can't
learn nothing using it. I added "named" and a new setup/named.
The configuration script is smart enough to instruct named to
become the DNS master for a simple class C network.

The only problem I facied is in contacting the external (true)
nameserver when connect.
The parameters "forwarders" do not seems to work in my release.
So I create on-the-fly a root-zone containing only the external
official nameserver, from the ISP.

The /etc/named.boot look like;
======================================
directory /etc/named
cache . root

include loopback
include localnet
include forwarders
include options
======================================

while the /etc/named/root look like:

. 6D IN NS bogus.root.org
bogus.root.org. 5w6d16h IN A 212.216.112.222

This is a my trick (bogus.root.org is not an Internet official
root DNS) and howtos didn't helped me about.
212.216.112.222 is my official DNS, and the script replace it
with the user supplied NAMESERVER.

The trick should save diald, because it just listen for outgoing
connections to NAMESERVER.

If in the mailing-list there is a DNS guru, please help.

"I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't remember any.
Would two negative ones do?"			-- Woody Allen