Re: An ambitious idea

From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer (khz@snafu.de)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 00:08:10 CET

Am Mon, 30 Okt 2000 schrieb Michele:
> Hello,
>
> It's the time to improve the the 'client side' in muLinux.
> It is better to split the basic functions in muLinux in two
> parts: server and workstation.
This sounds good to me.

> Next, I will add (this is the good new):
>
> 1) SMAIL, the Mail Trasport Agent (i.e. a true sendmail).
> I have a good libc5 smail and used it in the past.
> 2) MUTT, the most popular Mail User Agent in Linux

Mutt?

Great idea!! :-)

> 3) SLRN, one of the better News Reader in Linux

also a good idea, I am loking forward to this!

> I've the libc5 programs in my hands, currently.
> My MUTT comes with POP3 support, so it can fetch emails. This
> version support PGP!
> I like EXIM as Mail Transport Agent, ma recent release won't
> compile in libc5, because it use new regexp libraries. This
> version of SMAIL support smart-hosts.

:-)

> In this scenario, SRV will mantains Samba, Httpd, Ftpd and other
> popular daemons and WKS will acquires music, internet clients,
> cd-burning tools, etc. The EXT addon, recycled and defunct,
> will disappear at all.
>
> The old functionalities, historycal, fake and romantic functionalies,
> also-known-as "rustic", still remains in the BASE floppy disk,
> as *memento* about human presumption, but they are shut-down automatically
> when other addons are loaded.

Michele, all of this sounds very fine, having a fine Server and another
fine Workstation add-on is definitely a good idea.

I only have one question:

   Will I still be able to use Disk #0 as an Emergency Repair Tool
   when this modifications will be finished?

Or are you planning to modify the BASE disk as well?

Karl-Heinz