Re: Connecting Commodore PET to mu

From: Mark Roberts (mu@manumark.de)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 13:30:45 CEST

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:50:39 +0200 (MEST), Mark Roberts wrote:
>
> }Important note: I am looking for information about standard protocols, so
> }that I can implement them for the PET. I am not looking for information
> }about the user port itself, because I have the full manual here already.
> }But since I would need to implement the protocol bit by bit, I need a
> }precise desciption of what usually goes on inside a serial modem cable, or
> }a aprallel cable.
>
> With 8 pins you're stuck with serial. Parallel requires more.

I have eight data pins. If I reread the manual I may find that the other
pins (lots of them! lemme see ... 24 pins, of which 8 are bidirectional
and fully programmable) can be used for handshaking and the like. What
would I need for parallel? And on the other hand: how easy is it to access
the PC ports pin-wise? Surely given the IO address and using C it is as
simple as using BASIC on the PET?

> Old serial standard is RS-232-C. Pin numbers on a port may differm but their
> functions are standardized.
>
> http://www.rad.com/networks/1995/rs232/rs232.htm

Thank you very much, this will probably be a lot of help.