RE:RE:RE: phoneline networking revisited

From: winsor (winsor@wi.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 16:25:14 CEST

Michele,

AT&L1 initializes leased lines (with no dialtone)
I'd think that rather than modify agetty, you might be better off to attempt to
create modem init string that leaves modem in a "wait for connect" (leased
line)rather than "wait for ring" (POT line) state, whereupon agetty could issue
login and authorize user, and start pppd as a user shell. ( I read about this a
long time ago, but don't remember where)
On the first hobby ISP I built users had to manually login and start ppp, and I
don't see any problem with that considering the "rustic nature" of this
project*grin*

winsor