Re: phone line networking revisited

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 14:18:04 CEST

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 08:11:56AM -0500, winsor nicely wrote:

> Within a few seconds a handshake of sorts came up
> and these two machines were connected.
> CONNECT 2400 mirrored on both screens.
> And one could type to the screen of one machine. via the other
> I was also able to transfer both text and binary files via this phone cord.
> I don't know if it'd be possible to actually create a ppp link in this manner.
> But within a few days I'll know 8^P
> Just thought I'd touch on the old thread because I'm not sure whether that
> users questions were answered....................

I remember part of the very old thread about phone connections between
to (mu)Linux machines. You successfull connected two machine using two
modems, it is true?

My problem was: the procedure you described requires human intervention;
how to create a daemon that automagically detects signals on the line
and starts a chatting program?

I also tried to modify the /bin/agetty program, to handle phone
connection, but never worked.