Re: Music with sb64pci? (final statement)

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 16:05:49 CEST

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 02:24:01PM +0200, Gerhard Thimm nicely wrote:

> I think the io-concept also exists in the pci-world (and also in the
> agp-world). Look at a graphics-card, which has the video-memory in
> memory-space and the video-control-registers in io-space. You can run
> the oldest dos-pacman on all this cards, so i think ioports are an
> intel-concept, not isa.

Thank much for the clarification. But, anycase, why my ethernet PCI
do not requires *explicity* an ioport?

A look in the /proc/ioports shows:

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
02f8-02ff : serial(set)
0376-0376 : ide1
0378-037f : parport0
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0778-077a : parport0
b400-b47f : 3Com EtherLink PCI NIC
b800-b87f : 3Com EtherLink PCI NIC
d000-d0be : aic7xxx
d800-d807 : ide0
d808-d80f : ide1

so, it is now clear, ioports is the rule, not the exception,
included keyboard.
How to distinguish memory-space from io-space starting from
this hex address?