Re: Music with sb64pci?

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 22:51:46 CEST

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 08:33:41PM +0200, Gerrit Lammert nicely wrote:
> Hi Michele,
>
> > I suggest you to try with the pcspeaker in muLinux. I had been able
> > to listen CD, MP3 and also synthetized voice from my speaker.
> > But quality surely depend from the device itself.
> >
> > # setup sound stop
> > # setup sound SYSTEM=speaker
> > # mixer vol 100:100
> > # say "it works?"
>
> Yes, that is what I wanted. I did it in an earlier Version of muLinux, but
> as I tried to do it with 10r0, I heard nothing. I did in fact setup my
> output-device as systemspeaker. The say "hello" stuff worked well all the
> time, but when I tried to play an mp3 using mpg123, nothing despite some
> kracking-sound happend.
> So I thought you removed/broke the ability to play mp3s to the speaker and
> wanted to restore it.

Really wish you to play MP3 with a pc-speaker?!

> After testing again I recovered, that there are parts of the mp3 I want to
> hear between alls that cracking, but just for half an second or so. My PC is
> an celeron 300a with 64 MB, so it should be fast enough to decode it, why is
> it so slow? (With that before mentioned earlier version of muLinux, there
> was no problem).

With earlier releases you was able to play mp3 correctly on the speaker,
and no with 10r0? VERY strange. Please, try to remove the string "no387"
in your loadlin.cfg

In alternative (if you really wish to help me), please recover the mulinuz
coming with earlier release and replace it in your c:\linux\startup\boot
directory, then try again.
Please, type "uname -a" and check the compilation date
of your kernel.

The kernel is new in 10.* : please check. Maybe, something is changed,
and I can recovery.

> btw: When I insert an Audio-CD and play it using playcd it plays it throught
> my *real* speaker in a good quality. Doesn't the soundcard need an
> module/driver to play such kind of music???

As far the device is concerned, mp3 is music like other.