Re: Mu binaries

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 18:01:15 CEST

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 01:46:58PM +0200, Ondrej Kavka nicely wrote:
> Is there a HOWTO for mu binaries compilation? I would like a short guide
> how to make a 100% running application on mu and all my attempts were
> unsuccessful. I have access to a RedHat system where I can install
> anything I want.. What to I need to create libc5 binaries?
> Ondrej (download mu 10 and hoping for a better tomorrow :)

Please, Ondrej: report quickly any malfunction, so I can fix it.

Back to your question: to compile for MU, basically, required
a libc5 development system, such a RedHat 4.2 or Debian 1.3.

After that, you need of a noticeable amount of luck, because more
of modern tgz around the net are developed with some no-libc5
features, or with 2.2.* kernel serie in mind.

In some case, my workarounds consists in adding some missing .h,
or also removing the C function and replacing with rustic stuff, or
finally abandoning.

Now, you will ask: why, why do not migrate to modern libc6 and
a modern kernel?

Well, there is the answer: most of nice features of mulinux are
based in a little (root.gz) and a little kernel (mulinuz) able
to fit in 1.44 Mb. The root.gz play the role of a 'trigger'.
For example: it mount USR from a CDROM (if you clone in a CDROM);
it mount the root via NFS, etc.; it search the hard-disk, in
the DOS installer, etc.... It achieve its result using switches
via kernel's parameters.

Now, a "modern" libc6 from Mandrake is

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5195054 Dec 15 1999 libc-2.1.2.so

A less modern from Debian 2.* is

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 651112 Jul 17 1998 libc-2.0.7.so

You well understand, if I upgrade, what make muLinux different,
definitively will disappears. So, root.gz will remains libc5 for
ever and we are condemned to buggy binaries for ever.

The only development scenario is to produce a "patch" addon, able
to install libc6. The PERL addons add libc6 from Debian 2.0,
for example.