Re: mu SETUP

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 12:23:09 CEST

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 08:06:04AM +1000, Robert Heezeman nicely wrote:
> I would like to load mulinux from the HDD to RAM and run everything from the
> MFS (Disengage HDD until next power-up boot)
> Just as is done when loading from floppy's except I do not want to use
> floppy.
>
> Just to read mulinuz from HDD set up file system in RAM and run from RAM I
> have 64MB
>
> Maybe using 'initrd' and a script. How can this be done ??
>
> I hope it is clear..

First, you have to create be *BIG* ramdisk:

        # dd if=/dev/zero of=root bs=1k count=30000 (30M?)
        # mkfs.ext2 -F root
        # mount -o loop root /mnt

Go in the muLinux installation directory and:

        # cp -a tree /mnt
        # umount /mnt

Now, compress the root:

        # gzip root (this create root.gz)

Instruct now your boot loader to load root.gz as initial ramdisk:

        # loadlin initrd=root.gz load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=30000

This is if you use loadlin.exe.

In this way you will have muLinux, with ALL addons, in a single file.

The procedure described here is one of the advantage gained using the
muLinux way of distribute the system: a tree/ directory, with the
working filesystem.