Re: plip with mulinux

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 19:54:38 CEST

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 06:19:32PM +0200, Sven Conrad nicely wrote:

> > On the list we have a network guru, but I do not remember the name (please,
> > help us!).
> >
> I allways get a red hat, when saying things like this, but may be you
> have
> me in mind.

Yes, of course!

> Sofar, I see two levels for this diskussion:
>
> 1. how to do this in the typical mulinux scripts, but therefor we have
> gurus.
> But thats not me!
>
> 2. What can be done with muliple interfaces.
>
> I like the latter diskussion first, because it has a deep impact to the
> first.
> I thing, it is easyer to write the scripts, if it is clear what they
> sould do.

I need exactly of topic 2): I have two ethernet card, plip and ppp
working. I can link two PC and soon a 3th PC. I can experiment.

> I can't see mulinux computers as major gateways in Company or
> Universities.
> So what I see is, mulinix as Internet Gateway/Firewall at home, as
> Playground for workgroops or things like this.

I wish not setup something for a particula purpose, but only use
the little system in the way I can learn something, no problems.

> To bring a interface to work is very very easy. Do a ifconfig and add a
> route. That's all. The eth, ppp and plip interface have liddle
> differences
> for config commands but for route, a interface is a interface is a
> interface.

Ok.

> So far ok. But that is mostly not sufficient, because you have only the
> chance to alter the mulinux box. But if you want more than point to
> point
> connects, then EVERY box in the network needs all gateway routes! If
> this
> is, what you want, go ahead and set gateway routes for every subnet you
> have and you are all set. (this depends totaly on the structure of the
> entire network. E.g. gateways can be in a daisy chain!)

If you means that any box has to set the Linux box as gateway, I
can understand.

> > Oh, you are thinking as I did: to put in network.fun only what is *global*
> > or *common* to all network interfaces: nameserver, hostname, dhcp,
> > routing and default gateway. Perfect.
> >

> One point: you can have as much gateways as you want. Default is only
> the route,
> where you are liked to the world. If you are not, then you can have
> gateways,
> but none default. Please handle gateways more general. Problem, we have
> to take
> care for newbys.

More gateways? Please, explain better: how a single gateway is choosen?
Based on the network mask? On gateway max for interface or more?

> Here we are at a dificult question. Every interface needs at least one
> route,
> but can have more!
> e.g:
> [eth0 = 192.168.1.200]
> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
> route add -net 192.168.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.100
>
> which means, this box is a gateway to a "backbone" with two other
> gateways
> and there subnets behind! All these routes go to eth0!!! (route sees
> this
> allone, because the gw's are in the 1 net)

Obscure thing :-( I'm predisposed to considere any interface connected
to only a network. I this example, I have to considere the eth0
connected to 192.168.*.* ? If yes, I can't understand netmask used.

> BTW: could a cat /proc/net/dev be easyer to parse than the output of
> ifconfig?

They do not seems totally equivalents: ifconfig shows all active
interfaces. In /proc/net/dev I found all *configured* interfaces.
I found also interfaces currently down in this file!

Please, do you know also the bridging topic?