Re: Simple backup question

From: Neo (Neo.the.Matrix@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 22:46:08 CEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Michele Andreoli <m.andreoli@tin.it>
To: <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: Simple backup question

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 05:27:17PM +0200, Neo nicely wrote:
> > Hello out there!
> >
> > I have a very simple question. I have to make a copy of a complete hard
> > disk. My question: Can I do this using
> > dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/network/file.hda
> > and does this file contain all information about partitions, boot
sector,
> > and so on?
> >
> > hoping for an answer,
>

> I think yes. But I, usually, backup only filesystem, in some big tgz.
> Never got problems.
>
> Michele
>
> --
> I'd like to conclude with a positive statement, but I can't
> remember any. Would two negative ones do? -- Woody Allen

Thank you for your answer.
Usually, i also only backup only one filesystem, but I have to send my
laptop back to the vendor because some LED's are not working and I have to
backup everything. That's the point why I was asking. I hope that the
following works:
backup:
dd if=/dev/hda of=foo.hdd
write back
dd if=foo.hdd of=/dev/hda

As you said, that this should work, I will try it.

thanks again,
Enno Welbers