Re: MU-net-RTL8139

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 21:12:03 CEST

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 06:26:47PM +0200, Romain FRANCOISE nicely wrote:

> Michele : since muLinux doesn't use 2.2 series, it may be a good idea to
> upgrade directly to 2.4. What do you think ?

Why no directly to 2.6? :-)
This kind of idea requires a new floppy system, by scratch, and new libc.
Many news commands simply do not compiles with 2.0.36 kernel headers.

New kernels are bigger and use also more memory; all that, break the
single floppy nature of mulinux: the first floppy must be clean out;
a true emptyng, not an upgrade.

The only workaround I can image apply mainly only to installed muLinux,
with no disk space problem: a new addon (almost a Service Pack!) able
to upgrade automagically the kernel and all stuff required to news kernel
(modules, new network binaries, etc.).

Advantages:

        1) the Installer still run 2.0.36 low memory kernel
        2) 386 still have a chance to use some form of muLinux in RAM
        3) muLinux can be used to experiment the last-minute kernel

Luckyly, almost all muLinux is script-made: scripts do not suffer
in kernel upgrading, with the exception of /proc interface.

You are right: this can be planned directly for 2.4.* series