Re: [mu TECH] Awk 'expr'

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 22:27:00 CEST

Do grant me pity, for this is a late reply...

On 9 Jul 2000, at 23:54, Michele Andreoli <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> AC> BTW, on extending mu, has anyone considered adding some sort of Forth
> AC> interpreter for mu?
>
> In the first floppy we have AWK: using AWK, you can do anything.

Maybe Awk isn't used enough at that. 'Awk' looks like it would be good for a
more versatile rustic 'expr'. The version of 'expr' in 'busybox' needs a
compiler, and only takes two arguments... that is, '/bin/expr' will listen to
this:

        # expr 1 + 2

But not...

        # expr 1 + 2 + 3

...and so there are scripts which call '/bin/expr' twice in row to get the same
effect, which is another bottleneck.

The question: If I write a new 'expr' script that uses '/usr/bin/mawk', will
this be available for the first time boot scripts? That is, will we still need
to keep the current '/bin/busybox' version of 'expr', or not? (I'm worried
that 'mawk' only works if the USR addon is installed.) It would be nice to
save space with a 'expr' script, if possible, and for tweaking those other mu-
scripts that use 'expr'.