Re: vi ? (was: MC -e)

From: Gerhard Thimm (gthimm@zbw.ch)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:25:27 CEST

Jef Knoors schrieb:

> Well, you're right about learning to use vi, I should have asked for an
> editor wich would use the same functionkey's I'm already used to. I.o.w
> using an editor _without_ learning the next set of commands. Sinds I use
> DOS/Windoze/Linux ...

>... I don't want to reprogramm my memory, but my computerprogramms.

Well, that's exactly the point!

Sorry, I can not resist to write the following:
The Point why I learnd vi (program my memory a last time). This is one
of my best investments. As it seems you work with PC-based systems which
always have function-keys, why not use it. I never use function-keys,
because a lot of the systems i worked and work have no function-keys
(Terminals, industrial Systems, ...). But in most cases you find a vi
for this systems. And btw, it is great fun to _vi_ a file on a strange
machine you logged in via a palm-organizer :-)

Gerhard

BTW: The vi tutorial KHZ mentions earlier will take you an hour and
after two days you can't believe that you not used vi before.

BTW2: A friend of mine often use this sentence:" Never discuss sex,
religion and editors". And so I fall back to silence.