Re: how to install new programs

From: Sven Conrad (Sven.Conrad@eed.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 10:57:43 CEST

> Johannes Krausmüller wrote:
>
> Now (after solveing some problems) muLinux really runs good. But now I
> want to install some new programs. I want to play mp3-files. Because
> of this I would like to install mp3blaster (if anybody knows this, or
> is there another good player except the player in the "menu"). I use
> mp3blaster on my SuSE Linux and so I als o want toinstall it for
> muLinux. But I think there is no rpm-command which could help me to do
> so. Do I have to download the sources of mp3blaster and compile it or
> is there any other solution (perhaps on one of the addons)?
>
> Johannes Krausmüller

rpm itself can run on muLinux, but this is no guarntee for successfull
install
of a rpm. The packages are often made for a fixed distribution
(subdir-tree /
tools). I often install succesfull by just copy all files. This is allso
good for
uninstall, because you know, what you have done.
But MP3-TOOLS? These programms are mostly realy new. So the binarys are
for
kernel 2.2.x and/or glibc (libc6). Such binarys CAN NOT WORK. IF you get
binarys for Kernel 2.0.x and libc5, you have a good chance.

Compiling your own MP3 tool could be as easy as "./configure && make &&
make install", or a very annoying time eating task. (If you need manny
thing
to get a step forward)

But no one of this way bings the installed programm to a "menu". I guess
you mean
the menu of the window-manager. AFAIK this must be made by hand!

May be there is a easy way to add/delete Programms to fvwm95 like a
scipt??
Has someone done this????

/sven