Re: [tech] mc, f2c, gcc: 2 questions

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 12:52:22 CEST

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 10:16:38AM +0100, Alfred Breull nicely wrote:

> Installation of 9r3 base and gcc on a 486 (without math co-pro) resulted
> in several warnings:
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open ... vnc/lib, tcltk/lib, X11R6/lib and
> usr/local/lib
>
> Is this something earnest (sorry, I'm pretty unexperienced) ?
> I mean, I didn't install vnc, tcl or X11 and don't intend to use
> them - so, why these warnings ?

This is the mulinux /etc/ld.so.conf:
-----------------------------------
/usr/vnc/lib
/usr/tcltk/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
/gcc/usr/lib
-----------------------------------

It works like PATH variable; any entry is a directory for shared
libraries. I choose to provide a directory for shared libraries, one
for each addons. ldconfig scan any entry, and report warning. In fact,
you guess it, user load only a subset of available addons.
The fix is to put an error-redirection after the "ldconfig" command.
I fill fix.

> Also, there is a message 'can't load library libb.sc.5', although it
> exists and it's in path.conf. Unfortunately, it prevents fortran binaries
> from running on the 486.
>
> So, does mulinux's gcc require a math co-pro (I know, I've to
> load a emu387 emulation under MS-DOS) ?
>
> Alf

Check the file /gcc/usr/bin/gccconfig: it create a lot of links
in the standard place: /usr/lib etc. Maybe, this command is not
perfect?