Re: [mu TECH] terminal speed

From: Alfie Costa (agcosta@gis.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 22:25:44 CEST

On 29 May 2000, at 18:38, Mike Johnson <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk> wrote:

> color me silly.. I believe I'll try the same!

How'd it go?

Another benefit is that 'lynx' runs faster. I don't think 'lynx' can run any
faster than the terminal. So if the terminal is set to 38400bps -- most modems
go faster than this, then the terminal keeps the modem waiting. Or it keeps
some intermediate process that fetches the data waiting, I'm not sure if the
hardware itself actually has to wait. I don't know if this is true for 'ftp'
as well, that is, whether or not 'ftp' can run faster than the console.

On my main P200 box, I have the consoles set to 115200bps, (haven't tried any
higher speeds yet on this box), and using 'lynx' is three times as fast.