[mu NEWS] upgrade utility for muLinux

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 17:18:06 CEST

Hello,

I developed a script called "upgrade". This is "MUP", the muLinux
upgrade utility, an experimental tool to help users who uses
installed muLinux to upgrade the system without reistall from scratch.

It is based enterely on a couple of great features in the GNU tar
utility: this means, mup do not work without EXT installed.

Basically, it works in this way: it scan a directory (supplied
by user, from a mounted partition), found files like ROOT.gz, USR.bz2,
addons.tgz, etc and starts a process of comparison between archives
and current filesystem (this is the -d option in GNU/tar), based on
size and modification time. At finish, mup extract files from archives,
interactively. File really new on the system are separated from files
existents, but different.

The user have the change to refuse the upgranding of a single file.
It is up-to-user to know what is right for him.

For example: mup will propose alway to upgrade the a file like
/setup/cnf/network.cnf, because it is surely different from the file
network.cnf coming with a new release: the string ACTION is different.
And also it will propose to upgrade /etc/hosts, etc. In this case,
it is better to answer "n", or a new "setup -a custom" should be
required.

How to use "mup"? it seems it do not avoid the downloading of new
archives. Ok, it is true. But I can in the future release small
tgz archives like patch.tgz. MUP can operate successful also on this
kind of archive. You have only to download the file and to put it
in some directory, in some partition.

I will attach the file a this message, because MUP may be useful
to all release number. I hope in some useful feedback from the
list.