Re: [mu TECH] an 'mc' tweak, changing 'mc's default editor

From: Jef Knoors (jknoors@zonnet.nl)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 12:05:28 CEST

----- Original Message -----
From: Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@snafu.de>
To: <mulinux@sunsite.auc.dk>
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [mu TECH] an 'mc' tweak, changing 'mc's default editor

Am Fre, 02 Jun 2000 schrieb Alfie Costa:
> Another minor adjustment, but helpful for the 'vi/ae'-phobic...
>
> In /usr/vnc/lib/mc/mc.ext, at the very end of the file, the 4th
> to last line, it says:
>
> Edit=%var{EDITOR:vi} %f
>
> ...if this line is changed to:
>
> Edit=%var{EDITOR:mc -e} %f
>
> Then the Midnight Commander's user-friendly text editor
> ("Cooledit v2.1") will be run whenever 'F4' is pressed;
> thus avoiding 'vi'.

Please: could we have an option in the setup skript
        to let the user CHOOSE which editor to use?

I do not like the idea of changing to the mc-editor silently
because most of the power users (those who allready *know* Linux)
would probably prefer the vi.

Also remember that muLinux was originally designed for training purpose
and in my (humble) opinion 'learning Linux' or Unix /ought/ to mean
also 'learning the vi editor' cause this editor is present on all the
Unix systems allover the world... and using the excelent vi-tutorial
that comes with muLinux it's easy to learn! :-)

~ I agree on that, before I learned vi, I alway use mc-edit or xwindows
editor.
~once you are used to it , it's eay.
~Jef

(Just my 2 pence)