Re: [mu NEWS] Jef's Samba Mini disk

From: Stephen Isard (S.IsardDeleteThis@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 14:35:02 CEST

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> What means "snafu"? it is a sort of permutation for
> "ufans", unix-fans?

"snafu" is a slang word for a confusion, a mess. Its origin is often
said to have been in the American military, probably WWII, but maybe
earlier, as an acronym for "situation normal, all f***ed up". I can't
cite any authoritative source for this story of the origin, so it may be
an urban myth.

Regards,

Stephen Isard

PS, I know that people use all sorts of obscene and profane language in
newsgroups, but this is such a polite and friendly group that I felt
inhibited, hence the ***.