Re: thttpd

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 23:01:59 CEST

Michele Andreoli wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:25:22PM -0500, winsor nicely wrote:
> > Clive,
> > When using Thttpd one MUST give data files(images, text, html) chmod
> > 644, and executables chmod 755......this is for security purposes to
> > keep a script with incorrect permission from being viewed by a possibly
> > hostile user.
> > As far as the chroot() call this is the default compilation option, and
> > doesn't allow access outside the chosen root directory in any way...
>
> It is true. This is the option "-d" in httpd: it perfome a chroot(), but
> symlinks strangely works.

I could not find any method of serving web pages from my
ntfs partition using Thttpd. Pygmy worked ok but has the
known problem of requiring multiple refreshes to load all
images, so I have been searching the www for a suitable
httpd.
Apache would meet all my requirements but it is much too
large for mu.
        I found a programme written by Indrek Mandre
<indrek.mandre@tallinn.ee>. It is a "bare bones httpd" no
fancy indexing (no indexing at all), no error messages and
its PID is not constant, but it does serve web pages very
effectively. I do not know whether Michele would consider
incorporating it into mulinux but in case anyone else has a
web site on their linux box and wants to
try it, I took the liberty of attaching it to this message.
To try it, gunzip the file and move it to a suitable
location.
I suggest; /usr/local/bin.
Kill the running webserver:
killall -9 thttpd
and launch httpd:
httpd /home/httpd 80
Substitute your own document root as required.
Mine is /ntfs/inetpub/wwwroot
There are no prizes for guessing the identity of my original
webserver.
Start your web browser and try surfing your site.
It is certainly fast and for its size I would be amazed if
it did not have some shortcomings.

Clive