Samba connectivity disk

From: Brett Castleberry (bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 14:59:18 CEST

Checked, for what it's worth. If you don't like changes, undo.

Brett

So , I did some homework and have a copy of the howto ready.I appreciate
if a native english speaking member of this list could check the
spelling of it. Here it is: Samba connectivity disk, the making of Hello
everybody, here is a short story of my idea to put the smb files on the
first floppy of muLinux.
It all started when I bought a postscript printer, because I needed
600x600 dpi for my DTP-work.
I also could have bought a "normal" printer, but my DTP-software only
worked with postscript.
Then the question arose: where to put the printer? My desk was filled
with two telephones,
loudspeakers, a pentium computer, deskjetprinter, postboxes, mouse and
monitor.
I decided that the printer should go in the other office next door, so I
bought networkcards and
cables.
After downloading all necessary files I installed windoze 3.11 on a
tulip 386 in the other office
and set up the software. On both machines I had TCP/IP, but I couldn't
get it working.
I did a lot of reading about this subject and tried all kinds of
protocols and situations. I tested my cable and card with dos programs
and made connections under dos, but still
win3.11 did not communicate with win95.
I was desperate, and fetched my own pentium II computer from home,
connected to the pentium in
my office and it worked immediately (win95 <-> win95).
But my children kept asking, "Daddy, when will you bring the computer
home again?"
I found out that win3.11 and win95 can only connect to each other if a
server is used in the
network.
So I decided to install linux on a 386 to make a network server with
samba. I tried lots of versions of linux, like Redhat 6.0, but that
consumed too much space, (500Mb), even
without installing anything. It also crashed 4 times in the little while
I experimented with it. Later I
started to customise DOSlinux from kent robotti, but it is also 18 Mb,
and not ready to go with samba
in it.
I spent a lot a time and money on useless books about installing Redhat.

I read the book, "The Linux Network Toolkit" three times, which really
has good parts in it.
At that point I discovered that I needed the glibc (libc version 6), so
there goes the diskspace. I had
only 21Mb in this 386, so this was not a good start. I started to look
for other mini-distributions of
linux, something that really focused on the basics of the operating
system.
The I finally discovered muLinux, which had an EXT addon that provided
samba.
Setting it up and making it work was easy and extremely user-friendly. I
wanted others to see what this software was capable of, and started
working on putting
everything on the first disk, so that it would be possible to set up an
NT-like server in no time.
Nevertheless, I wanted people to see that there was still muLinux behind
all this so that they
would be able to dive into the full functionalities of it. Step 1:
Freeing diskspace To create space on the first disk you will have to
delete things you can do without.
Since my computer had no modem, I decided to remove fax and email
programs, web server etc. Best thing you can do here is:
- use a fast computer
- install Midnight Commander
- Use a `loop` or `ext2` installation to make the mu-script work. Make a
new directory where you will unzip the original muLinux distibution
file.
Copy the muLinux distibution file of your choice and type:
cat mu*version* | gzip -d | tar -xvf-
mu -u Now start Midnight Commander and choose in the pulldown menu "sort
by size."
Go to the directory" tree/usr/bin" and see what big files you can spare.

There are a lot of `little` files that in relation to this can be
deleted, but you will have to know
everything about those files, and I didn't because they are small in
size.
Step 2. Making it work.
Copy the smbd and nmbd files from /usr/local/bin to this directory.
Make the directories `samba` and `codepages` in tree/etc/.
Copy samba configuration files to tree/etc/samba.
Copy codepages to tree/etc/codepages, (you do not need all, I only did
850 and 437).
Remove the symbolic links for `samba` and `codepages` in tree/etc that
point to usr/local/etc. Step 3.
Remove from /setup/fun/*.fun those belonging to the files that you
deleted.
Remove from /setup/cnf/*.cnf those belonging to the files that you
deleted. Edit the file /setup/order and delete all except:
swap usr tmp keymap
isapnp
port
gpm
printer
sound
smbd
lpd
crond
standby
misc
local
(This list will be configured at boot time.)
Edit the file /setup/addons and delete all, but leave the empty file
there. (Why did I do that?) Edit the file /setup/custom and delete all
except:
isapnp
port
gpm
printer
sound
network
smbd
lpd
crond
standby
misc
local
(This file is the list that will be run if you will setup a new
profile.) Edit the file /setup/shutdown and leave:
crond
gpm
lpd
network
smbd
(Guess what this file does?) Caution!: there is no need to modify
smbd.fun or smbd.cnf so better leave this the way it is. Step 4.
Rebuild with mu -r Read error and try. If it doesn't work or it works
differently, I would appreciate being notified of that. Jef.