Samba connectivity disk

From: Jef Knoors (jknoors@zonnet.nl)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 10:53:44 CEST

So , I did some homework and have a copy of the howto ready.
I appreciate if a native english speaking member of this list could check the spelling of it.

Here it is:

Samba connectivity disk, the making of

Hello everybody, here a short story of my idea to put the smb files on the first floppy of muLinux.
It all started when I bought a postscript printer, because I needed 600x600 dpi for my DTP-work.
I also could have bought a "normal" printer, but my DTP-software only worked with postscript.
Then the question arose: where to put the printer, my desk was filled with two telephones,
loudspeakers, a pentium computer, deskjetprinter, postboxes, mouse and monitor.
I decided that the printer should go in the other office next door, so I bought networkcards and
cables.
After downloading all nessecerary files I installed windoze 3.11 on a tulip 386 in the other office
and set up the software. On both machines TCP/IP, but I couldn't get it working.
I did a lot of reading about this subject and tried all kinds of protocols and situations.

I tested my cable and card with dos-programms and made connections under dos, but still
win3.11 did not communicate with win95.
I was desperate, and fetched my own pentium II computer from home, connected to the petium in
my office and it worked immidiadly (win95 <-> win95)
But my childeren kept asking: "daddy, when do you bring the computer home again?"
I found out that win3.11 and win95 can only connect to eachother if a server is used in the
network.
So I decided to install linux on a 386 to make a network server with samba.

I tried lots of versions of linux, like Redhat 6.0 but that consumed too much space (500Mb) even
without installing anything, it also crashed 4 time in the little while I experimented with it. Later I
started to customise DOSlinux from kent robotti, but it is also 18 Mb, and no ready to go samba
in it.
I spend a lot a time and money on unusefull books about installing Redhat.
I read the book: "The Linux Network Toolkit" tree times what really has good part in it.
At that point I discoverd that I needed the glibc (libc version 6) so there goes the diskspace, I had
only 21Mb in this 386, so this was not a good start. I started to look for other minidistribution of
linux, something that reallly focesed on the basics of the operatingsystem.
The I finally discovered muLinux witch had a EXT addon that provided samba.
Setting it up and making it work was easy an extream userfriendly.

I wanted other to see what this software was capable of, and started working on putting
everything on the first disk, so that it would be possible to set up a NT-like server in notime.
Nevertheless, I wanted people to see that there was still muLinux behind this all so that the
would be able to dive into the full functionalities of that.

Step 1: Freeing diskspace

To create space on the first disk you will have to deleted thing you can do without.
Since my computer had no modem, I decided to remove fax and email programm, web server etc.

Best thing you can do here is:
- use a fast computer
- install Midnight Commander
- Use a `loop` or `ext2` installation to make the mu-script work.

Make a new directory where you will unzipp the originall muLinux distibution file
Copy the muLinux distibution file of you choice and type:
cat mu*version* | gzip -d | tar -xvf-
mu -u

Now start Midnight commander and choose in the pulldown menu "sort by size"
go to the directory" tree/usr/bin " and see what big files you can spare.
There are a lot of `little` files that in relation to this can be deleted, but you will have to know
everything about those files and I didn't because the are small in size.

Step 2. Making it work.
Copy the smbd and nmbd files from /usr/local/bin to this directory .
Make the direcorys `samba` and `codepages` in tree/etc/
copy samba configuration files to tree/etc/samba
copy codepages to tree/etc/codepages (you need not all, I only did 850 and 437)
remove the symbolic link for `samba` and `codepages` in tree/etc that points to usr/local/etc

Step 3.
remove from /setup/fun/*.fun those belonging to the files that you deleted.
remove from /setup/cnf/*.cnf those belonging to the files that you deleted.

Edit the file /setup/order and deleted all but:
swap usr tmp keymap
isapnp
port
gpm
printer
sound
smbd
lpd
crond
standby
misc
local
(this list will be configured at boottime)
Edit the file /setup/addons and deleted all but leave the empty file there. (Why did I do that?)

Edit the file /setup/custom and deleted all but:
isapnp
port
gpm
printer
sound
network
smbd
lpd
crond
standby
misc
local
(this file is the list that will be run if you will setup a new profile)

Edit the file /setup/shutdown and leave:
crond
gpm
lpd
network
smbd
(guess what this file does)

Caution!: there is no need to modify smbd.fun or smbd.cnf so better leave this the way it is.

Step 4.
rebuild with mu -r

read error and try, if it doesn't work or it works different, I appreciate to be notified of that.

Jef.