Re: Samba MuLinux MiniHowto [formerly: and Telecom Italia]

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 14:10:14 CEST

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 09:45:02AM +0200, Gerhard Thimm nicely wrote:
> A must-point, I think.
>
> > - a step-for-step mini-tutorial how to take your files
> > and build a nice little Connectivity disk.
> That's the point. This is what I want to know. There a some lines in
> that list to do that, but to short for me. This is for me a how-to in a
> how-to. :-)

Really, to do this kind of changes in muLinux is not so difficult, because
the "Mu" script is smart enough to recompute automagically boudaries
and sizes of all images involved (BOOT, ROOT and USR). This is one of the
main goal of muLinux. Up to user is only to remove and to add things
without to exceed the 1722k.

It do not need a Linux guru for that: it seems strictly as to cook
something, interchanging the ingredients.

The difficult part is to respect the general structure: that, requires
knowledge about muLinux. For example: Jef had avoid the addons load
emptyng the file /setup/addons, without touching rc.* startup files.
This is what I call "to respect structure".

Finally, it removed a lot of cnf/fun pairs, removing also the relative
entries in the file /setup/custom and /setup/shutdown.

Those are the basic cookbook's rules for this kind of work: anyone
can build own mini-linux using muLinux.

A different argument maybe my personal taste: I like to add, not
to remove!