Re: Graphical shells (was Re: Rawrite2)

From: Gerhard Thimm (gthimm@zbw.ch)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 17:09:37 CEST

HTom4722@aol.com schrieb:

> >> Hmmm... interesting way of thinking...
> >> I always felt, that the problem is not, that computers can be handled
> this
> >> way, I think the problem is, that it is not working this way, even we have
> >> desktops full of icons and wizards etc.
> >> Things are not getting easier, because there is no system behind it.
> >
> > The classicle Unix way is: Have small tools, each does its own job.
> Combine
> > them and get powerful - a modular way. But how should this be moved onto an
> > graphicle desktop?!? There is no way, because in todays OSs there is nearly
> > no tool used by another. Just a bit OLE
> > but no power behind it. The reason: All companies do there own job.
> > And the solution is - as ever - free open source software.
> > Martin
>
> I can imagine a graphical shell interface, but I can't (yet) code it. You
> could
> use icons for code fragments and flowchart symbols, pushing them together
> like LEGO blocks, to indicate control & data flows. Rather than typing
>
> ls -s | tail +2 | sort -rn | head -5 > big5
>
> you'd push together an "ls" block, a "tail" block, a "sort" block, and a
> "head" block,
> providing appropriate parameters in little type-in boxes (or by drawing lines
> to other
> icons that produced the values needed, there could be a keyboard icon that
> would
> ask the user for a value), and a "file" icon that stored the results. The
> icons could
> have multiple ports, where you'd attach a file to store errors, perhaps. You
> can have
> little pieces of "pipe" to stretch across the screen, carrying data and
> control.
>
> A program would look like, and implement, a flowchart. I can even see how
> such a
> thing might be useful, especially in a rapid-prototyping environment. Lots
> of the code
> could probably be lifted from various CAD systems & hardware emulators. But
> I don't
> think that I would ever really be comfortable using it; too many years of
> other, older,
> habitually mis-used and underused skills filling my brain.
>
> Maybe I should patent it anyway? (Geeesh, maybe someone already has!)

Well, there are a few highlevel petri-net-tools, e.g.: pace, which allow
there tokens more to carry than colors but tupels of data which also can
mean word.docs (arg). The transitions are fully programmable, in pace
smalltalk is used, not my favorite, to manipulate the token-data. In my
opinion it is very boring and slow to program with the mouse. But at a
first look very impressiv and good for repeated demonstrations or to
people who have no programming skills.

Gerhard

> htom

Gerhard Thimm        <mailto:gthimm@zbw.ch>
Informatiker, Kursleiter Informatikfachmann
ZbW - Zentrum fuer berufliche Weiterbildung
Gaiserwaldstrasse 6
CH-9015 St. Gallen
Telefon: (41) (0)71 / 313 40 40
Direkt:  (41) (0)71 / 313 40 53