Re: Rawrite2

From: Gerhard Thimm (gthimm@zbw.ch)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 09:49:08 CEST

Miguel Angel schrieb:

> On Mon, 08 May 2000, Jef Knoors kindly wrote:
> > Dear Miguel,
> >
> > I incidently erased the ulinux8r3b.raw file that I downloaded from you
> > homepage.
> > I did this while making a bootfloppy with the comand:
> >
> > rawrite2 a: ulinux8r3b.raw
> >
> > So the floppy was read and the image file was overwritten. Althoug this is
> > my own mistake, it might be pleasant to get a warning : file already exist !
> > Do you want to overwrite it ? Y [n]
> >
> > This can be helpfull even as a warning concerning the floppy: All data will
> > be erased !
> > Just incause you mistype the parameters.
> >
> > Jef
>
> Ok, i'll add it. Now i'm heavily improving rawrite2, so expect a new release
> very soon.

This is really interesting. These is typically DOS. Warning when ever
possible. On the other hand in unix there should be a -i option similar
to rm, cp or mv. So perhaps you should add a /yes-switch to suppress the
Warning. :-)

When Ken Thomson, the designer of UNIX at Bell/AT&T, was ask why UNIX is
so user-unfriendly and never gives a warning. He told, he likes computer
to be a butler and not a nanny.

An other profound sentence came from D. Ritche, designer of C, the
Programmer always knows what he is doing.

But these is nearly 30 years ago.

Gerhard