Re: [mu TECH] A new installer for DOS

From: Clive Wright (clive_wright@telinco.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 22:06:12 CEST

Michele Andreoli wrote:

<snip>
> > > Not Linux? False: there is a trick (using dd and other) for that.
> > > NT loader can boot Linux.
> >
> > This I didn't know. Could you be more detailed?
>
> This work also for win98? This is covered in a nice mini-howto.
> (mauby Linux-NT-loader).
> Let me call /dev/hda6 the Linux partition and /dev/hda1 the NT
> partition:
>
> 1) from Linux (get mbr for hda6)
>
> dd if=/dev/hda6 of=linux.mbr bs=1c count=521
>
> I installed mbr in /dev/hda6 using LILO:
>
> boot=/dev/hda6
> install=/boot/boot.b
> image=/boot/zImage
> label=linux
> root=/dev/hda6
>
> 2) boot your NT and point the file boot.ini
>
> C:\attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini
>
> Put the file linux.mbr in the directory boot/ in your NT (transport
> it with a dos floppy, from Linux).
>
> Open the file boot.ini with notepad and change it to reflect something
> like:

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
> C:\BOOT\linux.mbr="Debian GNU/Linux"
>
> Restore file permissions:
> C:\attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini
>
> Done!
> At boot, i wish between NT, Linux and win98 in the same machine.
> Ok, a this moment, I removed NT for space raisons ...
>
> > > Norton Ghost? It is some camouflage of "dd" command, because I can
> > > put all my partitions in a set of CD-ROM, using only "dd", mkisofs and
> > > cdrecord :-)
> >
> > Yes, more or less. The nice thing for me is that, if thing get completely
> > screwed up on your partions, you can always boot from a floppy and
> > use ghost, without losing time trying to fix things up. I have everything
> > on just 1 floppy and it does its job well, with a very simple interface.
> >

> This is not wizard's matter: you can save MBR with:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 of=MBR bs=1c count=512
>
> and restore it when you wish.
I used to use this method until I found that using dd was
unnecessary lilo is quite capable of writing the MBR direct
to a file. I usually create the file first by: cp
/DOS/bootsect.dos /DOS/bootsect.mul but even this may not be
necessary. Add the line `C:\bootsect.mul="MuLinux"' to
/DOS/boot.ini and edit /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/DOS/bootsect.mul
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#install=/dev/floppy/boot/cboot.b
map=/startup/boot/map
backup=/dev/null

read-write
vga=normal
prompt
#delay=40
timeout=1

#initrd=/mnt/floppy/boot/initrd.gz
image=/startup/boot/mulinuz
label=mulinux
root=/dev/hda1

I also had to create a symlink ln -s /startup/boot /boot'
(not sure why).
Running lilo proclaimed "added mulinux" enabling mu to be
launched from NT's boot menu.

Clive